The Château de Thau

800 years of history

XII century

 

The first stones of the forteresse are laid at this time.

In the Middle Ages, it was a proud castel which still showed, before the revolution, its high walls, its threatening towers, and finally its drawbridge, famous in the country.

This place rich in history welcomed the King of France, Saint Louis, after the Battle of Taillebourg in 1249. To the first lords of Thau, succeed the Marquis de Saint Laurent, the Duke of LANCASTRE (Lieutenant of the Prince of Wales).

Years 1960

 

In 1963, the Schweitzer family acquired the castle and its vineyards.

First destroyed during the Hundred Years War, it was rebuilt before suffering the vagaries of the French Revolution.

 

Therefore, the renovation of this testimony of history becomes a motivation for this family of workers.

 

Little by little, the cleaning and restoration of the estate are undertaken but all at a cost.

 

In 2004, the dovecote is rehabilitated.

Adresse

Château de THAU

46, route de la Gabare

33710 GAURIAC

contact@schweitzer-albert.com

T  /  +33 (0) 5 57 64 80 79

Pour nous trouver 

© 2023 by Vignobles Albert SCHWEITZER

L'ABUS D'ALCOOL EST DANGEREUX POUR LA SANTÉ, CONSOMMEZ AVEC MODÉRATION

  • Facebook Social Icon