The Château de Thau
800 years of history
The first stones of the forteresse are laid at this time.
In the Middle Ages, it was a proud castel which still showed, before the revolution, its high walls, its threatening towers, and finally its drawbridge, famous in the country.
This place rich in history welcomed the King of France, Saint Louis, after the Battle of Taillebourg in 1249. To the first lords of Thau, succeed the Marquis de Saint Laurent, the Duke of LANCASTRE (Lieutenant of the Prince of Wales).
In 1963, the Schweitzer family acquired the castle and its vineyards.
First destroyed during the Hundred Years War, it was rebuilt before suffering the vagaries of the French Revolution.
Therefore, the renovation of this testimony of history becomes a motivation for this family of workers.
Little by little, the cleaning and restoration of the estate are undertaken but all at a cost.
In 2004, the dovecote is rehabilitated.